Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Such Humanity – I’m Touched

TODAY (Tuesday, April 4, 2006, Page 1)

A Crutch for the ill and dying

Tan Hui Leng


“IN a humane gesture aimed at making the final days of terminally-ill CPF members easier, they will be allowed to withdraw their savings before the age of 55. Others with serious illnesses …..”


Such humanity, I am touched. Now I have 6 full months to enjoy the fruits of my past 30 years of toil.


Dear Ms Tan,

Did you check your dictionary or not?

Must I remind you that it is MY money you are talking about. The CPF Board is merely a custodian paid with the taxpayer’s money to look after the money for me.

How can you say that they are “showing human kindness, thoughtfulness, and sympathy for the suffering and misfortune of others etc.” (Longman Dictionary of Contemporary English)?

In my dictionary, it is not ‘humane’ to return money to its rightful owner. Neither is it ‘humane’ to return it earlier than stipulated by the law. In fact, it is an indictment of the inhumanity of the law in the first place.

No comments: