Friday, March 24, 2006

Two More Number 1’s for Singapore

Many people liked to poke fun of our fondness to be number one. We boast the world’s best airport, MRT, busiest port etc etc. (pardon me if I got my facts wrong – I just don’t want to waste the time to check). Some say it’s a kind of inferiority complex due our smallness.

Anyway I am all for it. And I would like to suggest 2 areas where we are probably number one as well.

1) We probably have the world’s highest number of advertisements on bust enhancement


2) We probably have the world's highest number of advertisements on hair restoration.

Whenever, I come back from an oversea trip and scan the Straits Times onboard the plane, I am often amazed at the number of advertisements that we have on bust enhancement (most of them with huge photos of scantily clad women) and hair restoration, as compared to the local newspapers. I often wondered what the foreigner sitting next to me and also reading the Straits Times, thought about Singaporeans. He probably thinks we are the vainest people in the world.

Maybe it is not such a bad thing after all. With our men getting hairier, and our women bustier, we are likely to see a decline in the ever ballooning divorce rates. With our people looking better, we are also likely to see some decline in our embarrassingly high suicide rate.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

wow. are you saying :-

1. that Singaporean marriages are skin deep and that a little (or big) cosmetic change would have been good enough to save the marriages.

2. Singaporeans have low self-esteem and a shallow lot. lack of physical beauty is a major contributor to the suicide rate.

how un-smart.