Friday, January 27, 2006

Hamas’ Shock Victory

Two things about this news article which appeared on page 4 of the Straits Times today caught my attention.

“The militant Hamas group, which has called for the destruction of Israel, has swept to a shock victory in the Palestinian elections ……..”


Firstly, I wonder if the significance of this event is lost on the editors of the Straits Times, who chose two local news items about jobs for older workers, and PSA’s bid for P&O, for the front page instead. Don’t they realize that this development is going to impact significantly the state of affairs not only in the Middle East, but also the whole world in the years to come. In contrast, both the BBC and CNN featured this news item prominently on television last night.


Secondly, I noticed that the Hamas supporters in the photo were all kids. In Singapore, I doubt any of them are permitted to watch NC16 movies. That such a large section of the next generation of Palestinians support the ‘manifesto’ of the Hamas group is frightening, don’t you think? I think this is what really qualifies to be labelled 'time bomb'.

“Behold, I will make Jerusalem a cup of trembling unto all the people round about …
And in that day, I will make Jerusalem a burdensome stone for all people:”
- Zechariah 12: 2,3.

No comments: